Wednesday, March 19, 2008

READ BELOW AND ASK YOURSELF

The following is an excerpt from an interview. As you read the answer to the question posed, ask yourself who is answering. Answer is below the response. An upside down picture.

Question: You've done more than one life's worth of work. Why go do this at this point?


Well, you're asking a personal question. So I’ll give you an unusual personal answer. I have a very deep well of empathy, and I take my motivation from what I see around the country. And I’ll give it to you just briefly, statistically: 47 million people who make less than $10.50 an hour—six and a half, seven, eight dollars an hour before deductions; 45 million people with out health care, 18,000 of whom die every year, according to the National Academy of Sciences, because they can't afford health care; 13 million children who go to bed hungry every night; 45 million people in dire poverty; 58,000 people who die from workplace-connected diseases and trauma every year, according to [the Occupational Safety and Health Administration]; 65,000 people who can't breathe, and die because of air pollution. I mean, do I have to go on? I mean, just what more evidence is needed that each and every one of us who has an ability to improve his or her country has got to do what they have to do within the confines of the Constitution and rule of law and freedom of speech?




]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]

No comments: