Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A WHOLE IN ONE

The other day I had an insight as to the whys and wherefores of my life. I think what I have to say might sound almost mundane, but like so many things in a man's life, I may have known something for the longest time, but until I actually focus awareness on it, the real force of the insight remains lost. 

I've been an atheist probably as far back as I can think, with some lapses and backsliding into belief under the duress of painful times. In short, when I am most weak and helpless is when I make decisions about gods and powers of greatness that I normally would not make. 

I don't know why I came to be an atheist, but as a teen, I probably said I was an atheist in order to shock people. The other day, though, I understood something about atheism that I'd not noted before. I was thinking about the book I'm writing and was trying to phrase a central theme of it when I chanced upon the following thought: my life seems to be directed toward the purpose of seeing myself as I truly am beyond or outside of the consciousness of a judging god. 

To live godless builds a truly human way of evaluating life. I think atheism is allowing me to quit having a split nature, seeing myself at one time as a human animal and at another time as a constructed creature at the mercy of a whimsical god like the gods of the Bible or Koran. The end of dualism is the end of being split, coming to live within existential doctrine. I'm sure that's what the existentialists were hoping for—to quit living as dual people and to be as one. 

To think as an atheist one escapes the duality of good and evil. As long as one is encumbered by the good versus evil continuum, he cannot help but be judgmental. His consciousness is bathed in good and evil thinking rather than in evaluating life on less onerous and practical terms. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading many of your post and the links in you chek'm out section I have found that like most atheist you have a problem not with God but with religion. That makes you a lot like Jesus. Jesus had great problems with religion. His opposition to the religious leaders of the day led to his death. Kind of ironic that you an atheist have so much in common with Jesus.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

If the central theme of this book you're writing, is "...my life seems to be directed toward the purpose of seeing myself as I truly am beyond or outside of the consciousness of a judging god..." I want to read this book.

And I like this following too! "...quit having a split nature, seeing myself at one time as a human animal and at another time as a constructed creature at the mercy of a whimsical god like the gods of the Bible or Koran."

To escape the duality of good and evil. Oh yes. So perhaps, it's not 'the religion thing,' which bother many of us... As much as the 'Rules' and 'Punishment' part?

So, I guess I fall more in the Agnostic category. I'm not sure if there is a Creator or not. But it doesn't matter. Because I can't imagine that the Creator of this magnificent Universe, would be at all bothered with we teeny, little creatures, who evolved on this teeny, tiny speck of a planet, in this huge Universe.

So, for me, so far, there might be a Creator, but this Creator doesn't bother me. Is this a valid way of thinking, in your estimation? I'm not asking for your Judgment. Just for your Opinion.

And if you're like most, you'll surf over to my blogs, to see who this person is, who dropped into your blog. Please, don't be put-off by all the 'sweetness & light.' I choose right now, to travel in the 'sweetness & light' circle of blogs, and so, I have to fit in there. :-) But I'm a firm believer in people having different personas, without any "whoo-wooo" to that, of course. ,-)

'Aunt Amelia'
Aunt Amelia's AtticDear you,Après le stent

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Hmmm, why did my Sig. line got so messed up? So I'll try again...

'Aunt Amelia'
Aunt Amelia's Attic-

Dear you,-

Après le stent