Wednesday, November 29, 2006

RUMSFELD BOOK AND TV DEAL

I heard recently that there will soon be a Rumsfeld book and TV show called If I Ordered the Torture and Detention of Thousands of Innocent Men, This Is How I Did It. Maybe there’ll be a book by Bush, My Illegal Invasion: As If I Started It or How I Killed Hundreds of Thousands of Innocent Civilians When I Illegally Invaded a Sovereign Nation, If I Did Actually Order the Invasion and Not Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and Donald Duck.

WHAT WAS I THINKING? CHENEY'S SECOND THOUGHTS










How long will this drivel go on?










And to think—I once supported this guy!

YOU STAND ON THAT ISLAND. I’LL STAND ON THIS ONE

As I read in my local newspaper (that’s right, newspaper) about LX.TV whose goal is to reach the 25-49 age group with incomes above $100,000 on the Internet on “broadband only” with a culture-based show designed to appeal only to them, I thought, not for the first time, I can imagine a way in which capitalism can literally fragment a culture. This reaching for niche markets has been around a long time. There’s a new cable horror channel coming out. There’s the comedy channel and cooking channels. Etcetera. The more each of us retreats into our niches, the more separated we become as a nation. Is this possible? Or am I just imaging it? Maybe it’s just the gloomy chilly weather outside makes me think this way.

No comments: