Friday, December 01, 2006

ABC’s LIST OF CORPORATIONS
THAT REFUSE TO LET THEIR ADS RUN
DURING AIR AMERICA’S PROGRAMMING HOURS

A few weeks ago, I came across a list of corporations which refuse to advertise on Air America radio, the only progressive radio network operating in America. Check out this list of businesses that want to silence voices that balance out the Druggie Limbaugh, Sean Handratty and Pat Rubbertongue—straight from an ABC memo. I'm beginning to understand that ABC, like Fox, is no longer a corporation whose objectivity, when it comes to politics, can be trusted. I can’t think of a better reason to break up these huge news operations for which there is little competition. It’s almost too late, folks. Corporate America owns just about everything that spouts news at us with a right wing, capitalistic bias. What I’m doing is sending the following short message to every corporation which accepts email communication on this list. I urge y’all to do likewise:

To Whom It May Concern,

It has come to my attention that your company is on a memo circulated by ABC Radio to its affiliates which contains a list of corporate giants who are actively trying to shut down ["Blackout"] Air America Radio by refusing to advertise during their programming segments. Such blatant support of the Republican Party, indicated by that blacklisting, by silencing Democrat voices of dissent (also consumers I might add), seems un-American, and, perhaps, restraint of trade. I do also note that Sean Hannity is connected to ABC radio sales and that some of your ad dollars may be going to support one of right wing radio's most virulent voices. I'm keeping ABC’s list of corporate giants in my wallet, and I intend to avoid using their products or services in future and to spread word of this list and its bias among my friends and acquaintances. I’m hoping that your corporation will become better citizens and support voices for change and renewal as a regular part of your corporate responsibility.

See memo here: http://mediamatters.org/items/200610310008

ABC contact: Nicole Loperena 1-212-735-1138

Respectfully,

George Thomas
Spokane, WA 99202
509/534-0500

PS: I must tell you that about 20 corporations emailed me or phoned me. More ignored me. Many of the companies that did contact me, told me that they didn't advertise on radio or that they were not aware of such bias in their advertising. Anyhow—I did have fun doing the footwork and getting the response I did get.

No comments: