Friday, April 28, 2006

THE LITTLE RED WAGON OF SPOKANE
DOW JONES? WHY?

Allan Sloan of NEWSWEEK says forget the Dow: “The S&P and the Wilshire are much more important, broad based indexes that are keyed to the stock market’s overall value.”

As for me, this blogger, because my company offered a 401k, I dove into the stock market for the first time in my life in my fifties. It’s been okay, but, now every time I do something with my stocks, it costs me hundreds of dollars. These kinds of expenses are okay for millionaires, but they aren’t fair to little investors like me. I’ve not done the necessary work to check and see if CDs are not just as good after I subtract the expenses involved with moving stocks around to invest in newer ventures. I can’t understand why people get to charge me so much to take my money and use it for their own gain. I know that I can go “C” stocks versus “A” stocks and etcetera, but then you have to hold them for longer. Only millionaires can afford to play the stock market if you ask me.

NETROOT? WHAZZAT?

“Netroots are the crazy political junkies who hang out in blogs.” —Markus Moulitsas Zuniga interviewed by NEWSWEEK, Jan. 9, 2006

SCIENCE MARCHES ON. . .

Stem cells embedded in futuristic materials may heal decades-old spinal cord injuries and rescue patients from paralysis, if recent experiments in rodents can be replicated in humans.
Update: You can't go to "Go Here To Read More". The page is gone. So why link to things which will be disappeared? Why not just scan in the whole article and credit it. If people don't want us to use their material verbatim, they should keep their links active for those of us who'd like to link to their home sites and merely reference the original.

UNLESS BUSH WANTS TO SILENCE THE FACTS

“The top climate scientist at NASA says the Bush administration has tried to stop him from speaking out since he gave a lecture last month calling for prompt reductions in emissions of greenhouse gases linked to global warming.

“The scientist, James E. Hansen, longtime director of the agency's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, said in an interview that officials at NASA headquarters had ordered the public affairs staff to review his coming lectures, papers, postings on the Goddard Web site and requests for interviews from journalists.” —From a New York Times article two months ago

No comments: